OUT OF DATE: These instructions were originally provided for Universal Analytics. This version of Google Analytics is no longer available.
Dashboards are like snapshots of your shop’s performance. They let you get a quick, birds eye view of how things are going and what might need a deeper look.
The built-in dashboard tool in the old Universal Analytics was never very full-featured, but it was an easy introduction to “dashboarding”.
In GA4, you can customise the “native” reports a bit more, to highlight the metrics that are important to your shop. The reporting capabilities are also much more powerful.
But to really create a visual dashboard like we’re used to, you need to learn a new tool.
Google Looker Studio
The best way to visualise your GA data is with Google Looker Studio (previously called Data Studio).
You can use Looker Studio to visualise both your current GA4 data (with the built-in connector) and your old Universal Analytics data that you backup.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- Looker Studio Quick start guide from Google
- Google Looker Studio Tutorial from MeasureSchool (Free)
- Looker Studio Complete Advanced Tutorial on Udemy (Paid)
- Welcome To Looker Studio ebook from OptimizeSmart (Free)
- How to use [Looker Studio] with Google Sheets
(Tip: Upload your CSVs to Google Drive and convert them to Google Sheets so you can use the Google Sheets connector, which is much easier to maintain than adding the CSVs to Looker Studio directly.)
- Looker Studio tutorial for Google Analytics 4 [VIDEO] from Analytics Mania